Now you’re lodged in the middle of the year, you can finally get rid of the old clothes which have kept your wardrobe looking a bit outdated and drab. We all know what it’s like when it’s cold – you just want to wrap up as much as possible and forget about the whole ‘being fashionable’ thing for a few months. However, that period doesn’t exactly last all that long and you’ll soon have to end up refreshing your attire with a whole set of new garments. Now you know that you want to fix up and get back into the swing of what’s new, here’s five of the hottest items for 2012:
1. Olympic Chic. The 2012 London Olympics is something that you can’t walk five minutes without being reminded of. It’s an exciting time, regardless of where you’re from. There’s something in it for everyone. To prove this, an Olympic-themed fashion trend has come about, which incorporates a new sporty edges to stylish garms.
2. Floral. Made to blend in, particularly in Spring time, the floral fad is one which frequently crops up and all for the right reasons. With light-weight fabrics and soothingly mellow colours, it’s an elegant way to ease you into a new year’s batch of new style trends. Make it work for you.
3. Graphic effects. To counteract the ultra-girliness of the returning floral trends, the graphic effects gives an opposing style for those who chose not to welcome it to the same degree. In particular, DKNY have been seen to resurrect it and others have brought through the polarising paisley.
4. Pastels. Deemed sorbet shades, pastels are an old classic for Spring time. It’s has a sweetness about it which makes you almost want to eat it! Go on – no one’s looking!
5. Underwater. Largely reserved to the beach crowd, the deep sea trend is one which is making all the girls want to start booking holidays away in the sun. You don’t have to go over-the-top in trying to look like you’re attempting to impress when the sun’s out, especially with this well-layered style trend.
Brighten things up a bit. We’ve moved on from the dull days of Autumn, Winter and even Spring. You need to need to get with it and find out what’s hot for this year. Much like women’s fashion, men’s has come on leaps and bounds since last year. It doesn’t happen every year, but the transition between 2011 and 2012 has been a big one, which has deemed a lot of last year’s gear outdated. For that reason, you can often get stuck feeling as though you’re living in the past to the point where you can’t catch up with the latest trends. If you’re in a situation like this and you just want to know what everyone else is wearing, this is what’s hot in men’s fashion this year:
1. Light Bright. This year, bold colours are what men are dying to immerse themselves in. Perfect for summer, it’ll live you up even more than usual, to the point where you’ll need to protect your eyes from something other than just the sun.
2. Yellow. Swamping the fashion world, yellow has simply taken over for those who are willing to be a little more adventurous. For those who are more accustomed to traditional colourways, it’ll come as a bit of a change, but it doesn’t mean that you’ll have to change your ways to fit in. From a deep mustard to a softer lemon, it’s all going into today’s latest trend.
3. Print Shirt Punch. As much as these shirts get ridiculed for being outdated, they’ve finally come back around into fashion, just when you’ll need it to.
4. Field Work. How it came out, it’s not clear, but Givenchy and Calvin Klein have gone for an edgy look for this year, which you may just fall for too.
5. Blue. As well as yellow, another colour is standing strong as a standout for 2012. Kenzo, Dolche & Gabbana and Burberry can’t all be wrong on this, can they? It’s a very versatile colour which will see you through from the spring (where lighter tones will work best) right the way through to winter (when you’re able to layer up on darker tones).
It all happens so quickly. One minute you think you’re fine in what you’re wearing and you’ve just acclimatised to the weather of the new season, then something comes along to mess that all up. That ‘something’ is always time and how it rapidly it seems to glide on from one season to the next, without giving you enough time to prepare your wardrobe for it. By now, if you’re still caught up wearing the items which keep you comfortable and warm, it’s time to ditch them and get into the spirit of the time you’re living in. Look around Harvey Nicks, for example, or check through the options here.
Here’s a handful of Spring/Summer 2012 Women’s must haves items
1. Ava Changeant Taffeta Dress. A dress made to feel just like a corset, it’s shaped so that it comes in at the waist and extenuates the wearer’s figure. It’s a shimmering black silk dress, which is particularly flattering and is a real attention grabber. Want to make an impact? Here you go.
2. Pomegranate Circle Print Dawn Shirt. Stella McCartney have really been pushing for more silk this year and it’s come through in a number of their items. Notably, you can see it in things like this skirt, which might take a bit of getting used to, but won’t disappoint.
3. Julianne Crepe Dress. Girls often find it difficult to resist a good Ralph Lauren frock, especially when it comes to the summer months. With a touch of sportiness to it (like everything they put out) this is a bright and elegant addition to your artillery.
4. Off White Broiderie Anglais Sleeveless Top. Another one from Stella McCartney, this sleeveless top allows you to really embrace the weather and get into the summary mood, for a bit of relief for a dull winter and spring.
5. YSL V-Neck Dress with Puff Sleeve. For those on the lookout for dresses with a bit of staying power in them; ones which you’ll be able to pull out the wardrobe any time between now and a few years from now, this sophisticated cotton dress is an evening essential and matches the season perfectly. http://www.harveynichols.com/factfinder/search/result/?dir=asc&filterbrand=YVES%2BSAINT%2BLAURENT&q=YVES+SAINT+LAURENT&sort=name